Below is the view from my hotel room.
I could walk outside my hotel and turn left and see Times Square four blocks away. I walked down there many times, including at 2am my first night there. It is as overwhelming as it seems. But quite spectacular. I probably passed through there at least 10 times and saw something new every pass.
On Sunday I needed to work on comps so I holed up in my room and ate street vendor food. This is a combination of gyro meat, chicken, veggies and rice with tzatziki sauce for five bucks. It was amazing.
I also managed to walk through Central Park on Sunday and take a few pics. This is about 8 hours before the snow started. NYC only got a bout 2.5 inches while we were there.
But Sunday morning the temps were in upper 30s and the sun was peeking out. It was a beautiful day for a stroll.
I made my pilgrimage to Strawberry Fields and paid my respects...
I realized I had meant to bring flowers but when I got there, there w ere plenty already laid out. I watched one man in his 60s lay some of these flowers and then sit on the benches around for a good 15 min. I admit, after I took my pictures, I sat and quietly reflected, and cried. I could hear other sniffles around me, so I wasn't the only one. How can we, as humans who crave connection, feel so connected to a person we never met? Why do I shed tears for someone I didn't really know?
So these scrappy little guys were the only SQs I saw and they stayed in the park. They are my black SQs cousins I imagine. This guy was eating pieces of ice from the ground.
Another visit I made was to the Met Museum! Here are a few highlights.... aside from the cab ride there. My friend Paula and I were at the Empire State Building (pics below) and took a cab to the Met. Our driver was insane! He careened through the streets down Madison avenue. We pulled around trucks and nearly ran red lights....It was awesome!
Once at the Met...
I like Rodin. This piece in particular is engaging. The Burghers of Calais 1884-86
Cow's Skull: Red, White, and Blue, 1931
Alfred Stieglitz Collection, 1952 (52.203)
TO my ultimate delight there was an entire room of Georgia O Keefe!!
And they had the most interesting Pollock I've ever seen. It has lines and shapes and colors!
Same day still...we went to the half price ticket line.... and got great seats to see .....
It was amazing. We laughed and cried. The voices were fantastic. A highly recommended experience!!!
More Times Square
This is from the Empire State Building. It's the closest I got to seeing the Statue of Liberty with the exception of when the plane flew the length of Manhattan Island and I saw her from the air.
Going up in the ESB was a brilliant experience. It cost $18 and we endured Disney-like lines (it took about 40 min to get up there from the line forming around the block on the street) but it was so worth the wait and cash. We had a cold but crystal day with blue skies and a fierce wind. You could see for miles. one word..breathtaking!
A view looking north. The black building I believe is Trump Tower and you can see the Chrysler building nearby.
Self portrait looking south towards Lower Manhattan and the Business district
Paula and I taking a self portrait on the inside using a giant wall of mirrors.
Looking North. IF you look to the upper left corner you can see a piece of Central Park
The M&M sign in TS
A pigeon chilling at the top of the ESB. I couldn't help it. He was posing!
Another look south towards the Statue of Liberty, New Jersey, and Lower Manhattan
The Flat Iron Building
One more...while my hair was behaving! There were moments when this was like a wind tunnel and I looked like I had tentacles!
Overall...it was an amazing experience! If it weren't for my job, I wouldn't have gone. I loved the city and the food...we hit pizza...Junior's for breakfast.....Thai....Indian....and the Carnegie Deli. I feel like I tried it all!
Thanks to Kate for Rent! Couldn't have done it without you.
I'll pick out and post some more pics later this week. I need to get back to writing comps now...

No comments:
Post a Comment