Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A week's worth o' blogs

So business takes over and blogging is often put aside. Weather-wise, it's been much of the same. Last Thursday when I played open mic (see below), temps fell to the lowest in the season so far and we got a couple of inches. Then more WSFFTS Saturday and Sunday...
but on Saturday afternoon, I happened to look outside at some point and saw this:

It was POURING snow. Like someone was dumping a big bag of it over the top of an impossibly tall set piece.
It only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was so beautiful.....so much snow...
Of course, we barely got a quarter inch out of it.



Last night was another situation. We had the prediction of 1-4" (which pretty much means they have NO IDEA how much it's going to snow.) It was a lovely surprise to see what I think was the most snow we've gotten at one time so far this season. It looked to be about 3" maybe 3.25. I had an early meeting and still cannot find my snow ruler (it's transparent!!)
The snow was fluffy and on the trees in thick layers which were coming down when SQs and birds ran across.



"Hey...got any more sunflower seeds? "


So, as promised, I have pictures from Thursday night open mic at Fingers Saloon. Had much fun and selected a few shots of the evening.



Here is a basic one. It seems I sing a lot with my eyes closed. I know it keeps me on task and undestracted by the drunken crowd but it makes for boring pictures. I know I open my eyes more than that,,,,,,


I like this one for the expression on my drummer's face. It seems I'm attempting to be serious, although for the life of me I can't remember which song this was. It was the only one he drummed for.


This is Steve..the second drummer, and Bart...one of the music men running the show. Steve was great. We had never met, he walked up and asked if he could sit in. I played mostly originals (the crowd seemed to be going for it) and he not only kept up but really accentuated the songs. I have a recording of it. I'll figure out how to attach or link to it somehow.


This is me just leaving Nick's Hug Zone.....



Bart and Kathy..and other usual suspects playing what I believe to be Zombie....


It's a good time whenever I go. It's always fun to play with other musicians. I don't necessarily consider myself a musician as much as a hack. I don't know all the chords or read tabs. I play and fiddle around until I figure out what I need to know to either write something or cover something.....total hack.
But it suits my purposes. I'm in grad school....not really looking for that elusive recording contract....any more at least. As long as I can find a good open mic at a bar ...usually on a weeknight...I'm good.
And why a bar you might ask? Well, I do play coffeehouses. But the bar is a different vibe. Plus the majority of people you meet and play with at the bar are adults...whereas at a coffeehouse in a college town....lets just say it makes me feel a bit old sometimes.

No comments: