My gray day with snow beginning. Here is the street at 12:30 pm on Sunday, January 21, 2007
The snow is starting to pick up soon. We aren't supposed to get very much.
It's one of those days where the non-descript overcast sky takes the brightness out of even the snow. Everything out the window that is not a distinct bright color (the red house across the street, the green of the pine tree off the porch) melds together with the sky and ground. The stark brown of the tree trunks and dormant bushes break up the whiteness with punctuation marks of uniform uniqueness.
That little revele was broken up by the appearance of one of the Red SQs on the table right outside my window. The cats have gotten so used to seeing them right outside the window, they rarely react to a sudden appearance.

Although I reacted quickly to the appearance of this momma cardinal on the tree Saturday. The fuzziness is the double window pane I shot through. Her mate was just a few branches above, but hiding so that all I could get was snippets of red amongst the green.
Some snow is moving in but the system sheared as it neared MI so we won't get huge accums today/tonight. We have a forecast that I call the Michigan Forecast. Mostly it's a rubber stamp across the week...snow (usually WSFFTS*), temps in the 20s during the day, cloudy...this clouds reflect in the snow kind of thing. Honestly I think the snow is the only thing that keeps people from doing away with themselves up here given how little one sees the sun during the winter. Much local legend around here insists East Lansing ranked as the 2nd cloudiest city in the US. I've looked online for confirmation of that and cannot find it outside of blogs and people saying "I've heard EL is the ......"
This is the closest I came to a fact site
http://www.weathertoday.net/weatherfacts.htm
I think it is cloudy enough here that the myth can easily be believed.
I've been tracking the weather and submitting observations online for some time now. My ex-boyfrirend was a really good amature meteorologist and he got me into it. I've always been fascinated with the weather so this gives me a good way to interact with it.
You can see my observation postings here.
Earlier this week we had a little sunshine and here are the girls enjoying a brief interlude of warmth.
Here Miss Kleo enjoys a bright big sunbeam.
Skuttle also had a sunbeam here but it didn't show up as well in the photo. She prefers the ambient heat of sitting next to the laptop. She knows the poor thing will be cranking away for hours.
We had new snowfall on Friday (about an inch and a half) and everything went even whiter. The snow was big and fluffy and the SQs were out frolicking again and digging for buried sunflower seeds. Here is a great pic of what I think is Chuckles.
And her compatriot grey SQ. I love the snow on the nose effect.
Much writing needs to be done today.
GEEK OUT!!
Battlestar Galactica starts new episodes tonight!!! I'm a little peeved at them moving it to Sunday nights, but I should probably be content with the fact it is still running!

No comments:
Post a Comment